Friday, May 02, 2008

Boss sketch



Here's the sketch of Bruce Springsteen- my latest commission for Rumours (55th & 8th Ave.) along with the photo reference. I showed it to one of the owners yesterday and he had no reaction. I'm still waiting to show it to the other and get a deposit, but if he doesn't like it....I don't know. I got a great reaction from one of the bartenders there and a few other people I've shown it to. The only thing the other guys might object to, is that they wanted more of the "Born in the USA" Springsteen look and have the American Flag somewhere on it. My problem with that is that it feels like too much of a cliche' and just way too obvious. It also makes Springsteen seem like a flag- waving Nationalist, which he isn't. He's protested the American government in his songs. His lyrics to Born in the USA are obviously ironic in tone, and have been misinterpretted by such idiots as Ronald Reagan. Sorry, I should say "former idiot".
Anyway, I'd rather show the American colors subtley in different tones in his face to show that he's an American rather than the flag. We'll see what Mike (one of the owners) has to say....

8 comments:

The Keeper's Notes said...

Very nice drawing and I agree about your comments on not using the flag as a backdrop because of the reasons you mentioned. Shame that the guy at Faces and Names had no reaction. Hellooooo!

Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

Thanks.
He is actually from Rumours (55th & 8th Ave.), and I think he was just confused at first. After it's done and hanging for a while, I think he'll come around.
Sometimes you have to grow into a painting.

Anonymous said...

I love your drawings and paintings - I saw through all your pictures. My favorites are Ziyi Zhang, Sarah Silverman, the (new) Christopher Walken, the Rolling Stones, the Park-caricatures... let's say MUCH! I would be so cool to meet you, but unfortunately I am a non-american, living in germany. I am studying Design/Illustration at the moment. You're an inspiring example!

Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

Thanks, Steve! Good luck in school.
Where in Germany are you? I hear there's a lot going on there in the Art World right now...

Anonymous said...

Thanks! In Germany - really? I never heard that... but sure... it can be :) Would be good (what have you heard exactly? its interessting for me what you're thinking because you've got another point of view). I only can say that Berlin is a growing art-center. I am living in nürnberg now, studying my first semester and later I want to do a semester abroad in NewYork. I like what we're doing at college because it's very free-thinking so you can develope your creativity. But you don't learn how to improve your drawing-style(I do this in extra courses). Can I send you some pictures I made?

Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

That's basically what I heard: that Berlin is a growing art center...I don't really know much about it- only that there's a buzz about it in NYC.

Yeah, please send some of your work- I'd like to see it.
My e-mail is cking1@earthlink.net

Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

Btw, I showed it to Mike (co-owner of Rumours and Faces and Names) and he gave me the green light and a deposit. He respected my idea and is letting me go with it. If only every art-director were like Mike.
He's my best patron.
Mike is the best.