Thursday, December 04, 2008

Dogature






So I did this party back in September just for Dogs, which I thought would be kind of fun, albeit challenging. I brought my camera along to photograph those dogs who wouldn't keep still (most of them) and I told the host that I would do this so I could draw those dogs from my camera WHILE I WAS THERE. In the middle of the party he had me draw human children instead for some reason, and then the time ran out on the party. I told him I would do a sketch of "Navy" the Birthday Dog and send it to him, since I didn't get to do him at the Party. About a week or two later, I get an e-mail from the host asking me where are all the other caricatures of all the other dogs at the party, and threatened to take me to court. Obviously, he mis-understood me, but wouldn't accept my logical explanation. I said I didn't even have photographs of most of the other dogs, but he didn't believe me. So now I'm waiting for a Summons to go to small claims Court, which will be a ridiculous case suitable for The People's Court, which I've been on before...
Anyway, these are some of the sketches I did on the train ride up to the party that day, and the final sketch of Navy that I sent to them at no extra charge. Think they appreciated that??

13 comments:

Greg said...

Typical..

Sorry to hear about that, buddy.

By the way, what happened in your "People's Court" appearance anyway?

Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

The first time I was on the People's Court, I was counter-suing my ex-Illustration Rep. who didn't want to give me back my promotional pieces even if I paid him the remaining balance. He just didn't want me to cut his name off of it, even though that's what I would have to do anyway in order to get any work from them. Long story short, I won and eventually got my artwork back from him- even though the court had to call him again to pressure him, and I won my money back that I invested in his services- about $900. Plus my work got exposure on TV, so it wasn't so bad all in all.

SEILER said...

Very fun Dan!!!

Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

Thanks, Jason!!!!!!

The Keeper's Notes said...

Great drawings! Idiot client!

Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

Thanks! Indeed!

Elgin Subwaysurfer Bolling said...

having done Dog gigs before i KNOW how challenging they can be. You did a fantastic job and even managed to capture their "doggyness" I usually : whimp out and just do a cartoon version, but THIS is FANTASTIC!

Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

Thanks, Elgin. These drawings are actually from photos; I drew them on the way up to the gig. At the gig, I used my usual Japanese Brush Pen, although I did a quick rough underneath it in pencil first, which I usually don't do. I don't have any examples of those, but everybody seemed to be happy with them.

Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

Btw, did anyone notice that Greg is a baby? He's very advanced for his age. He's a genius' genius.

Mr. Urzua said...

dude, i had so much fun in new york...and yes it was a pleasure having met you...thanx for showing me your art work....i love gallery pieces...and seeing a real life park artist. :D

man if i'm ever back down there, and i'm hoping for next year right after the convention....i'll diffently hit you up.

Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

Good meeting you, too, Andy- and you can crash whenever you need to. I just hope I can go next year- I tend to start losing money by the time the Fall rolls around...

Yuri said...

This one is the best:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_p_WCJeIhaVA/STg5-QtmRRI/AAAAAAAABQ4/e_kOGlWIc90/s1600-h/img068.jpg

Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

Thanks, Yuri.